Traditional Bowhunters of Minnesota
July 26, 2014, 07:10:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd annual MN bunny hunt  (Read 13167 times)
Holm-Made

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 01:12:32 AM »

This afternoon, I got permission from the landowner to hunt the same property as last year.  I saw some tracks from the road so we are good to go there.  Chad
rayb

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »

Hey Chad,

Is it mostly cottontails or are there snowshoes as well? I'm just curious. I need to round up some good bunny arrows. How much snow do you have down there?
rraming
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »

better bring snow shoes
The Gopher
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »

there was a ton of snow last year, but the thick cover we were hunting, snowshoes wouldn't have helped.

as for the game, we are after cottontails and snowshoe hares.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”

~Fred Bear~
Bucksnort101

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »

I sure hope it's not cold like this in a couple weeks. Have been out the last two days trying to get a rabbit or a squirrel. Saw one Cottontail yesterday and absolutely nothing but my own breath today. Way up temp was -23!!!!  Guess the critters were smarter than I today and remained in thier warm homes.
Colin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »

I'll be at the bunny hunt.  Any of you seasoned wabbit hunters got any tips for this rookie?  What does the days schedule look like?
Bucksnort101

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 02:56:22 PM »

Hey Colin, probably about time to get a plan together.  Last year we all met up at the McDonalds in Little Falls, just off Hwy 10, that seemed to work out pretty well.   Don't remember what time we all met up, sometime between 8-9 am if my memory serves me.
I'm pretty much open to any time, Chad may want to weigh in since he has lined up the hunting land for us again (thanks to Chad).
Last year most (me) were pretty worn out from Saturdays hunt so we did not even go out on Sunday. Spent the morning in Chad's shop and departed.

As far as hunting technique, we just formed a line and walked through the woods.  Seems to be the way to do it without the aid of a dog. I do wonder if there should be posted hunters ahead of the line that can see spooked rabbits in advance and direct the line? Maybe get a shot as a rabbit runs past?   Could take turns being the guys up front on the ends of the line?   Have not done much rabbit hunting with a larger group so I don't know if that's a good idea or not?

Don't forget, for small game you have to wear at least one piece of Blaze Orange clothing above the waist, at least a baseball cap, preferably a cap and a vest or jacket.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:02:27 PM by Bucksnort101 » Logged
The Gopher
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »

if i remember, last year we did have a couple posters a few times. although we (tod) only got one snowshoe hare, i think almost all of us got a shot off. Like Bucksnort said, after the hunt we just hung around the shop so bring a project to work on (bows, arrows, knives, etc) or you can just listen to skunkman's stories. Is Dave planning on coming?

hopefully the weather warms up, can't wait!

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”

~Fred Bear~
The Gopher
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »

link to last years hunt, i'll try to take a few more pictures of the actual hunt this year.

http://www.traditionalbowhuntersofminnesota.com/smf/index.php?topic=212.0

Chad, how many people are spending the night? should i bring the big 'ol coffee pot for the morning?

~Fred Bear~
Holm-Made

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »

Nobody has comitted to staying overnight yet.  There's plenty of room on the floor for all.  We should plan to leave the McDonalds by 9:00 so get there earlier if you plan to eat. 

We will have a pot luck type of supper in my shop.  Bring something for the grill if you want.  I may try to whip up some chili too. 

Dan, we should start a sign up sheet to see how many are coming so we know if we need the coffee pot.  Can you make half a pot with that thing?  Chad
The Gopher
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »

Yeah, i'm sure you can make half pots.

I'll be spending the night.

~Fred Bear~
Tod_Becker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »

I am planning on coming with my son (12 year old) and spending the night.
Packing list; arial targets and flu-flus, snow shoes, ring ballone for the grill, saved dried deer tendon for who ever, computer with video of alaska caribou trip, sleeping bag, a bunch of ironwood to split and shape out on the band saw, chips or something for tailgate lunch, beer for later
Bucksnort101

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »

As of this moment I plan on spending the night.  Do not have any snowshoes, but don't think they would have helped on a lot of the stuff we trudged through last year.
Not sure what I'll bring for the grill, but will bring something to throw in for Saturdays evening meal.
No Skunkpiss Beer for me though, need to drop the weight I've gained in the last year and Beer is a big no-no!!!
Wonder if maybe Skunkman has a chunk of that knarly wood to make a slingshot with?
rraming
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »

I plan on coming up for the day to meet you guys, will not be spending the night though - my wife Agent Raming MUST do an open house on Sunday (like they sell anyhting these days). Is that the meeting spot McD's in Little Falls. So no snowshoes huh! I hope the weather stays just like this out Shocked
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:30:11 PM by rraming » Logged
The Gopher
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »

if ya got snowshoes i'd throw them in the truck. but the stuff we hunted last was so thick that Dave (skunkman) gave up the bow for a slingshot, didn't have enough room to draw a bow. but if ya got 'em bring 'em.

Bunch of ironwood huh? gonna start building selfbows Tod? i'll take that sinew off your hands too  Grin

~Fred Bear~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: